Pain Management: Provider Information and Tools
Florida Blue is committed to providing information and tools that are easy to access to assist providers in managing long-term chronic pain patients. By using these tools, providers can improve and optimize patient outcomes.
Safe and effective chronic opioid therapy requires appropriate drug prescribing and regular assessments of a patient’s improvements in pain and function. Optimally balancing benefits and risks of high-dose chronic opioid therapy is dependent on regular and comprehensive monitoring, as well as anticipating and appropriately managing opioid-related adverse effects.
The following resources and tools are available to assist clinicians in managing pain:
- CDC Guideline for Prescribing Opioids for Chronic Pain
- American Pain Society
- NCCN Guidelines for Adult Cancer Pain (free registration required)
- ASCO Guideline for Integration of Palliative Care Into Standard Oncology Care
- Florida Department of Health – Take Control of Controlled Substances
Tools - for assessing and managing chronic pain
- Checklist for prescribing opioids for chronic pain
- Instructions for calculating total daily dose of opioids
- E-FORCSE (Florida's Prescription Drug Monitoring Program)
- Opioid Risk Tool
- Alcohol Screening and Brief Intervention for People who Consume Alcohol and Use Opioids
FB PRV RX 004 NF 082015