Like many companies, Florida Blue is engaged in public policy advocacy on issues that impact our business at the local, state and federal levels. To stimulate concrete action in the market, we believe that active engagement in the legislative process is an important part of responsible corporate citizenship and the right way to develop effective strategies.
- Our Blueprint for a Healthier Florida is an integrated, high-level overview of Florida Blue’s public policy principles. The Role of Public Health in the Health Care System
- Objective prioritization, coordination, and execution of public health initiatives are essential to positively impacting population health. The Appropriate Role of Government in Health Care
- Government must provide affordable access to care. And policymakers and regulators must facilitate an environment that allows the private sector to provide innovative health care solutions using a more consumer-friendly approach. Medical Malpractice Reform
- An effective tort system must balance appropriate victim compensation with the need to prevent unintended actions and consequences toward reasonable behavior that can reduce access to quality health care. Health Care Quality
- Quality health care requires effective partnerships among patients, providers and payers to make informed decisions and care and payment models must facilitate continuous improvement of health care quality. Cultural Competence
- The United States is becoming more diverse, and research shows several populations experience health disparities. Some health policy experts assert cultural competence may serve as one component of a solution to health disparities. Health Care Cost Containment
- There are ways to reduce health care costs without giving up quality, but making changes to the whole health care system is not easy. The changes will also be costly and will take some time. How do we change the health care system to one that will both control costs and improve quality of care? White Paper on the Patient Protection and Affordable Care Act and Its Implications for Florida Philanthropy
- This report by the Florida Philanthropic Network, released in June 2013, looks at how the Patient Protection and Affordable Care Act is likely to impact the lives of Floridians, and suggests key roles for philanthropy to play as the law is implemented in the state. Florida Blue shares an interest in supporting health issues, organizations, and needs in Florida. New Report Examines How Affordable Care Act Could Impact Florida and the Role for Philanthropy*
- A Prior Authorization Safety Check Saves a Life Real Stories in Health Care
*This news release accompanies the report released by the Florida Philanthropic Network in June 2013.
ACOs and PCMHs: Health Care Transformation or More Alphabet Soup?
The Patient-Centered Medical Home (PCMH) and Accountable Care Organization (ACO) concepts have been prominently presented as potential solutions to mitigate the ills of the health care system. These models have great potential, but continuous learning is necessary for long term success. Read more about ACOs and PCMHs.