Final Rate Determination
The Florida Administrative Code requires that all individual and small group carriers obtain approval of their premium rates from the Florida Office of Insurance Regulation (OIR). In addition, the Patient Protection and Affordable Care Act (ACA) requires that all weighted average rate increases in the individual and small group markets that exceed a stipulated threshold (currently 15%), must be assessed to determine if they are "reasonable". For individual and small group carriers issuing coverage in the state of Florida, the federal enforcement agency for the Patient Protection and Affordable Care Act, Health and Human Services (HHS), has delegated the authority to determine if rate increases are reasonable to the OIR.
Rate Increase Justification
This rate action is proposed for all BlueOptions, BlueSelect, BlueCare, myBlue, and SimplyBlue products that are fully compliant with the ACA.
The proposed rate action is due to the following reasons:
- Medical Inflation (Trend)
- Medical Trend: Combined effect of medical provider price increases, utilization changes, medical cost shifting, specialty pharmacy, and new medical procedures and technology.
- Insurance Trend: Impact of leveraging on plans with fixed dollar cost shares.
- Prospective changes to covered benefits
- Adjustment to account for prospective changes in benefits to cover Applied Behavioral Analysis (ABA) therapy
- Risk Adjustment Transfer
- Changes in 2020 to the CMS Risk Adjustment coefficients
- Taxes and Fees
- Reintroduction of the Health Insurance Providers Fee for 2020
- Reduction of the Exchange User Fee
- Increase in the Risk Adjustment User Fee
FB FRD 001 NF 102019