Show your Heart Some Love with SilverSneakers®
Staying active is one of the best ways to keep your heart healthy. And keeping your heart healthy is a great way to keep your loved ones’ hearts happy. February is Heart Health Month – the perfect time to show your heart (and theirs) some love.
Why you should care about heart health
Heart disease is the No. 1 cause of death in the U.S.1, but it isn’t a “normal” part of aging. Even if it runs in your family, heart disease isn’t inevitable. You can greatly reduce your risk by maintaining a healthy weight and keeping your cholesterol and blood pressure at normal levels.2 The best way to do that is to commit to a healthy lifestyle.
5 things you can do to reduce your risk of heart disease
Stay active. Take a fitness class, go for a walk, stretch or do yoga, ride a bike – as little as 10 minutes a day of physical activity can deliver some health benefits.
Choose healthy foods. Good nutrition helps keep several risk factors for heart disease in check, including your cholesterol, blood pressure, diabetes and weight.4 Not to mention, you’ll feel better when you eat healthy foods, too.
Stop smoking. The toxic chemicals in cigarettes can affect how well your heart functions. Smoking can also lead to a build-up of plaque in your heart’s arteries.
Limit alcohol: Having more than two drinks per day for men and one per day for women can increase your risk of high blood pressure and obesity. High blood pressure and obesity can both increase your risk for heart disease.
Relax. Managing stress in a healthy way is important to your mental health and your heart health.
Take the first step toward improving your heart health, today.
All of our Florida Blue Medicare Advantage plans include SilverSneakers®. With SilverSneakers you get more than just access to thousands of nationwide gyms. You can take advantage of your SilverSneakers benefit to get healthy right in the comfort of your own home, too.
SilverSneakers® is the nation’s leading fitness and lifestyle program for seniors, and it’s included in your Florida Blue Medicare health plan at no extra cost. Getting started is easy and instant, so you can start exercising from home today! Visit SilverSneakers.com/LIVE to sign up for live virtual classes,7 or SilverSneakers.com/OnDemand to access an exclusive video library of workouts, wellness videos and exercise programs.
Questions about SilverSneakers? Visit SilverSneakers.com or call 1-888-423-4632 (TTY: 711), Monday through Friday, 8 a.m. to 8 p.m. ET.
Always talk with your doctor before starting an exercise program.
- American Heart Association, http://www.heart.org/idc/groups/ahamah-public/@wcm/@sop/@smd/documents/downloadable/ucm_491265.pdf Accessed 12/21/2017
- Centers for Disease Control and Prevention, “Prevention: What You Can Do,” http://www.cdc.gov/heartdisease/what_you_can_do.htm
- American Heart Association, https://www.heart.org/en/healthy-living/fitness/fitness-basics/aha-recs-for-physical-activity-in-adults, Accessed 12/3/2019
- American Heart Association, https://www.heart.org/en/healthy-living/healthy-eating/eat-smart/nutrition-basics/aha-diet-and-lifestyle-recommendations, Accessed 12/3/2019
- https://www.nhlbi.nih.gov/health-topics/smoking-and-your-heart, Accessed 12/3/2019
- American Heart Association, https://www.heart.org/en/healthy-living/healthy-eating/eat-smart/nutrition-basics/alcohol-and-heart-health Accessed 12/3/2019
- Membership includes SilverSneakers instructor-led group fitness classes. Some locations offer members additional classes. Classes vary by location.
Y0011_104917_C 0121 C: 01/2021
Y0011_104917_C 0121 EGWP C: 01/2021
Filed under: Medicare