Back to Blog Home >>
Summer is here and we at Blue Cross and Blue Shield of Florida are excited about the different ways Floridians are utilizing the sun. With a whole host of activities to choose from, cruises seem to be a favorite with everybody we asked. We talked to a few cruise aficionados, who had some interesting tidbits to share about their cruise experience, especially about how to stay healthy while still having fun in the sun.
Karla Williams who went on a 7 day family cruise in 2010 says her biggest challenge was getting over the the concept of endless free food. With food choices from the healthy to the not-so healthy, Karla took advantage of the fun activities like line-dancing or ballroom dancing to work out those calories. She also took to taking the stairs and dropping in on the aerobics classes that were held in the gym on the cruise.
That’s the same advice Brian Benda went with – he went on two snorkeling trips and a walking city tours – activities that offered him several hours of non-stop fun but also helped him get some exercise in. For Melissa Adams, getting up for the AM yoga, helped her get most out of her day. Christy Harding, who just recently returned from a cruise suggests using the dining room more than the buffet. “Table service is great because you get waited on. Plus, you’re served individual serving sizes instead of helping yourself to an entire plate of bacon. If the buffet isn’t in front of you, you don’t know what you’re missing and you still leave the table well-satisfied.”
We think that’s great advice. So, the next time you are packing your bags for that cruise destination, remember:
- Take the stairs. Cruise ships are huge and offer many exciting adventures. Take the time to explore your ship, starting with those stairs.
- Try to drink as much water as possible. Those lovely drinks come with a price tag and calories. Enjoy yourself but be mindful how many you consume/day.
- If you’re in the buffet line, start with a salad. Not only are you getting in your fibers, you are also filling up.
- Try out the dining room. Not only are you resisting the temptation of endless food, you also have more control over the portions presented before you.
- Take advantage of the abundant fun activities that will get you moving like dancing, scuba diving, aerobic classes, yoga, etc.
We want to hear from the cruise lovers - any other tips we missed on how to manage health while you're having fun?