Healthy Slow Cooker Recipe: Cabbage, Apple and Chicken Sausage Stew
It’s time to fire up the slow cooker! This warm and hearty stew is made with healthy chicken sausage, apples and cabbage. Cabbage is in season during the winter, so pick some up at your local farmer’s market or at the store.
1 medium head green cabbage
2 Granny Smith apples
¼ teaspoon kosher salt
½ teaspoon smoked paprika
½ teaspoon black pepper
2 ½ tablespoons olive oil
1 (13 ounce) package smoked chicken sausage
3 tablespoons apple cider vinegar, plus extra for serving
¼ cup unsalted chicken stock
- Core the cabbage. Cut into 16 wedges.
- Core the apples. Cut into wedges, about 1-inch thick.
- Add cabbage, apples, salt, paprika, pepper, and 1 ½ tablespoons of the olive oil in a 5- to 6-quart slow cooker. Cover.
- Cook on high until the vegetables are tender. This takes 5 to 6 hours.
- Cut the chicken sausage diagonally into 2-inch pieces.
- Heat 1 tablespoon olive oil in skillet over medium-high. Add sausage, cooking until brown on all sides.
- Remove skillet from heat. Add vinegar. Cook for 30 more seconds until vinegar evaporates.
- Add stock to skillet. Bring to a boil. Then add mixture to slow cooker.
- Cook vegetables and sausage for another hour.
Filed under: Medicare News