Health Care Reform and You
- It sets certain standards for health plans so you can easily compare them against each other.
- If you qualify, you can get help to pay for part of your health insurance.
- By January 1, 2014, most everyone has to buy health insurance or pay a tax penalty to the government.
- Some things have already happened. Others happen in 2013 and 2014. Our timeline gives you the details.
- You can start to buy the new qualified health insurance plans October 1, 2013, through the government Marketplace or directly from an insurance company.
- Everyone who lives in the United States, including non-citizens with legal residency status.
- In October 2013, you’ll have more plans to choose from.
- If you’ve had a plan since March 2010 that qualifies as a “grandfathered” plan, and you like the plan, you may be able to keep it.
- No matter what your situation, Florida Blue can walk through the options for you and your family.
- The law gives you a choice. If you don’t already have coverage, you can either buy it or pay a tax penalty to the government.
- Call us at 1-800-633-6808.
- Go online to floridablue.com.
- Visit your local Florida Blue Center— call 1-877-FL-BLUE-0 to find the location nearest you.
Kate Warnock is a member of the Florida Blue social media team and has loved being at the forefront of the social wave @FLBlue. A marketer with ten years’ experience, Kate is also a wife and mom to two children. When not at work, you’ll find Kate listening to NPR, reading The New Yorker and Cooking Light, and arriving two minutes late to yoga class.