Florida Blue Medicare will take immediate action when either of the conditions described below occur and we have determined that there is a disruption in access to health care:
- The Secretary of Health and Human Services declares a public health emergency, or
- A governor or the U.S. President declares a disaster or other type of emergency.
Members living in affected areas can still get the medical care and prescription drugs they need. We work fast to help members during a state of emergency or disaster declaration. When it’s in members’ best interest for us to do so, we won’t wait for the usual 30 days’ required notice to make these changes. We’ll get right on it.
Medicare Part D
For Medicare Advantage plan members with prescription drug coverage, or members with a standalone prescription drug plan (PDP):
- When a state of emergency is declared, Florida Blue Medicare will temporarily allow affected members to get an early refill of their medications and maximum extended-day supplies from in-network pharmacy providers, nationwide.
- Members who use out-of-network pharmacies may not have prescription coverage. If you can’t access your usual network pharmacy, call us at the number on the back of your Florida Blue Medicare member ID card. Our Member Services team will help you find a network pharmacy for you to use. If there is not a network pharmacy reasonably available for you to use, you will be able to use an out-of-network pharmacy. However, the cost for your prescription drugs may be higher.
- Does your medicine need our approval before you can fill it? Call us at the number on the back of your Florida Blue Medicare member ID card for help.
We will continue to lift these restrictions until the end of the declared disaster or emergency.
If Florida Blue offices are impacted
If the disaster or state of emergency affects Florida Blue Medicare’s offices and we cannot resume operations by the end of the disaster or emergency, we’ll notify the Centers for Medicare & Medicaid Services (CMS). We’ll also update our Florida Blue Medicare website with information about our business activities and hours of operation as soon as we are able to do so.
We'll keep you updated
We’ll keep you updated with important information online. Visit floridablue.com/medicare for the latest information about using your health or prescription drug benefits during a disaster or state of emergency. For around-the-clock information about benefits, in-network providers, and more.
Questions? Call Member Services.