Florida Blue Foundation
SUBMIT YOUR NOMINATIONS
The 2021 Sapphire Awards
Recognizing Excellence and Innovation in Community Health
GIVE THE GIFT OF RECOGNITION
GIVE THE GIFT OF RECOGNITION
Background and Purpose of the Sapphire Awards
In 2021, the Florida Blue Foundation will celebrate sixteen (16) years of presenting the Sapphire Awards to individuals, programs and organizations in community health. The first set of honorees were in 2005, and since that year, one hundred and fourteen (114) Sapphire Awards, totaling more than $5.7 million, have been awarded to individuals, programs and organizations from across Florida.
The Sapphire Awards will honor, through a competitive external review process, outstanding Individuals, Programs and Organizations for effectiveness and services that are distinguished by exemplary leadership, innovation and documented outcomes and impacts in providing service delivery in one of these three Drivers of Health: Food Security, Mental Well-Being or Health Equity. (See information below to further describe the intent of these three Drivers of Health.)
Food Security Goal: To impact food security of families and communities to help mitigate associated costly issues, which can be detrimental to health, development and well-being.
- Access to healthy food for those who live in food deserts
- Affordability of healthy food
- Awareness and education surrounding proper nutrition
Mental Well-Being Goal: To advance mental well-being for families and community members to mitigate the stressors associated with issues that often impact entire families and/or communities.
- Awareness of current mental health status
- Education around mental well-being
- Support in addressing stress, anxiety, loneliness, addiction, etc.
*Health Equity Goal: To Improve health equity to ensure that families and community members have both the access and opportunity to attain full health potential and are not disadvantaged due to environmental, economic, and social circumstance.
- Access to health and health care for underserved populations
- Provider awareness and education around the health inequity of patients
- Access to health education
*For purposes of this program, “Health Equity” means when every person has achieved the opportunity to “attain his or her full health potential” and no one is “disadvantaged from achieving this potential because of social position or other socially determined circumstances.”
CDC’s National Center for Chronic Disease Prevention and Health Promotion (NCCDPHP)
The Sapphire Awards are not a grant program. While there is a financial award, nomination applications should not be submitted with the sole intent of fundraising. The Sapphire Awards are designed to recognize what has been accomplished (demonstrated success), not what is hoped to be accomplished.
- Nomination Application Submission Deadline Date:
October 16, 2020
- Nomination Applications Clarification Conference Calls Dates:
September 14, 2020 - 10:00 am – 11:00 am
and will repeat again from 11:30 am – 12:30 pm
- To join the Nomination Application Clarification Conference calls Dial:
Dial Toll free: 1-800-882-3610
- Finalists and unsuccessful nominators notified on or before:
February 26, 2021
- Honorees will be announced at the Sapphire Awards Dinner: May 4, 2021.
(Honorees must be present to accept the award)
NOMINATION APPLICATION ELIGIBILITY GUIDELINES
Organizations and Programs:
- An Organization may submit a Sapphire Award nomination application to seek recognition for the collective impact of all its health-related services/interventions.
- An Organization seeking recognition for a single health-related program should submit a PROGRAM nomination application.
- Organizations named as “Winners” of the Sapphire Awards in previous years for the collective impact of all their health-related programs may NOT submit another ORGANIZATION nomination application. These Winners may, however, submit a PROGRAM nomination application.
- Programs named as “Winners” of the Sapphire Awards in previous years for the impact of a single health-related program may NOT reapply for the same program. These Winners may, however, submit a nomination application seeking recognition for a different program.
- Organizations applying for a Sapphire Award must be incorporated in the state of Florida and the programs for which they are seeking recognition, either individually or collectively, must be currently conducted in the state of Florida. The nominated organization must be in operation for five (5) years. The nominated Program must be in operation for a minimum of three (3) years.
- Organizations applying for a Sapphire Award must be either: A.) a 501(c)(3) organization, or B.) a unit of Florida government (e.g., county health department, K-12 school, college, university, etc.).
- Type III Supporting Organizations and private foundations are NOT eligible to submit a nomination application.
- Nominated individuals must be licensed health care professionals, administrators or volunteers who have worked and/or volunteered in the state of Florida with a “qualified” health-serving organization(s) that is/are physically located in Florida. Qualified health-serving organizations must be either: A.) a 501(c)(3) organization, or B.) a unit of Florida government (e.g., county health department, K-12 school, college, university, etc.).
- While an individual may be nominated for his/her work as a professional, service as a volunteer or a combination of both, the nomination should focus heavily on the individual’s professional work and/or volunteer service performed in Florida.
- Individuals may be nominated for a career that spans more than one organization or community.
- Nominated individuals must have a proven record of more than five years.
- Nominated individuals can be active or retired.
- Nominated individuals must be alive and a resident of Florida at the time the nomination application is submitted. Posthumous nomination applications will not be considered.
- Individuals may be nominated by a peer, colleague, co-worker, staff member, board member, volunteer, patient, client from the organization where the individual works and/or volunteers, or from separate organizations. Self-nomination applications will not be accepted.
Nomination Applications can come from one person familiar with the organization, program or the individual being nominated. Organizations must include two (2) References from non-staff people such as current/former patients/clients, community leaders, elected officials, funders, representatives from partner agencies/organizations.
- 1. Current and former employees, retirees and board members of the Florida Blue Foundation, Florida Blue (formerly Blue Cross and Blue Shield of Florida), the subsidiaries and affiliates of Florida Blue and GuideWell Mutual Holding Corporation, as well as spouses and family members, cannot serve as a nominator or reference. Additionally, current and former members of the Sapphire Awards Review and Selection Committees, as well as spouses and family members, cannot submit a nomination or reference. Lastly, nominated program staff, spouses and family members cannot serve as a reference nor submit a nomination.
- Florida Blue Foundation does not make grants or charitable contributions to organizations that discriminate in their provisions of goods and services based on race, color, religion, national origin, disability, sex, age, gender identity or expression, sexual orientation, Veteran status or marital status.
- All chosen finalists must be available for interviews and filming by the Foundation, and must be present at the Sapphire Awards Dinner on May 4, 2021.
A total of approximately $490,000 will be shared among the honorees (organizations, programs and individuals).
SUBMITTING A NOMINATION APPLICATION:
The Florida Blue Foundation uses an online application process. After you have read and printed the above 2021 Sapphire Awards Nomination Application Process and Eligibility Guidelines, please click on the link below to either: A.) start a new Organization, Program or Individual Nomination Application; or B.) access an existing Nomination Application and/or form you already started and saved.
To submit a Nomination Application for an Organization, Program or Individual, please CLICK HERE.
Phone: (800) 477-3736, ext. 63215
Florida Blue Foundation
4800 Deerwood Campus Parkway
Jacksonville, FL 32246
2019 Community Health Symposium and Sapphire Awards
Click here to view the Honorees Past and Present 2005-2019.
To view honoree videos, visit Florida Blue YouTube.
FB FBF 017 NF082020