Florida Blue Foundation
2016 Sapphire Symposium and Awards
Health Transformation: The Power of Engagement
Florida Blue Foundation announced the honorees of the Sapphire Awards today from among 13 finalists and 112 nominees from around the state. The awards, totaling $350,000, honor outstanding individuals, programs and nonprofit organizations in community health care, or health care-related fields, whose work is distinguished by leadership, innovation and achievements in community health. The awards ceremony concluded the two-day Sapphire Symposium that featured community health experts from around the state and country.
The winners, runners-up and honorable mentions in each of the three categories are:
- Winner - Florida Perinatal Quality Collaborative, Tampa, $50,000
- Runner-up - HANDS of St. Lucie County, Fort Pierce, $20,000
- Runner-up - Osceola County Council on Aging, Kissimmee, $20,000
- Winner - Bithlo Transformation Effort: Dental Care Access Program – Florida Hospital, Orlando, $50,000
- Winner - Pediatric Mobile Clinic - University of Miami, Miami, $50,000
- Runner-up - MBF Child Safety MattersTM - Monique Burr Foundation for Children, Jacksonville, $20,000
- Runner-up - Smiles Across Miami - Nova Southeastern University, Fort Lauderdale, $20,000
- Winner - Richard Christensen, MD, Jacksonville $50,000
- Runner-up - Doug Kent, Bay and Gulf counties, $20,000
- Runner-up - Jasmin Shirley, Fort Lauderdale, $20,000
- Honorable mention - Bakari Burns, Orlando, $10,000
- Honorable mention - Aggie Pappas, Fort Lauderdale, $10,000
- Honorable mention - Bret Smith, Kissimmee, $10,000
CLICK HERE to view videos of the winners.
An independent panel of experts with state and national expertise in community health best practices selected the honorees in each category.
Since 2005, Florida Blue Foundation has presented 73 Sapphire Awards, totaling more than $3.75 million, to 15 individuals and 58 programs and organizations from across Florida.
CLICK HERE to view recorded plenary sessions with Dr. Joseph Betancourt and Dr. Cara James, as well as the Sapphire Awards presentations.
FB FBF 016 NF 092016