Improve the Quality and Safety of Patient Care
2013 Statewide Nursing Summit Report
Nursing in Florida: Celebrating the Past, Advancing the Future Presented by Florida Blue Foundation in partnership with the Florida Action Coalition For more than a decade, Florida Blue and Florida Blue Foundation have advanced nursing in Florida as part of a focus to improve the quality and safety of patient care. Key to this improved patient care is a well-trained and prepared nursing workforce.
The purpose of the summit was to promote nursing and nursing education in Florida by:
- Providing learning and networking opportunities
- Showcasing best practices and innovations in Florida's nursing care delivery
- Hearing from national experts in the field
- Acknowledgment and involvement of Florida Blue and Florida Blue Foundation nursing scholars
- Highlighting Florida Blue's and Florida Blue Foundation's commitments and contributions to nurses and nursing education
Themed Celebrating the Past, Advancing the Future, the summit program was designed to meet the education needs of nurse educators, researchers, administrators, nurse practitioners, physicians, psychologists, students and others in health and health-related fields. Speakers and panelists represent the broad spectrum of nursing, health and health-related fields, and are recognized nationally and internationally for their expertise.
In an effort to reach nurses and other health and health-related professionals from across Florida, the summit was simulcast in real time at satellite centers located across Florida. In addition to the in-person presentation at the Center for Advanced Medical Learning and Simulation (CAMLS), USF Health, Tampa location, the summit was simulcast at Florida State University, Pensacola State College and University of Miami.
With more than 3 million members, the nursing profession is the largest segment of the nation's health care workforce. Working on the front lines of patient care, nurses can play a vital role in helping realize the objectives set forth in the 2010 Affordable Care Act. Florida Blue and the Florida Blue Foundation are positioned to continue to develop Florida's nursing workforce through strong partnerships and investments across Florida.
Click on the following for links to materials from the 2013 Statewide Nursing Summit:
- Program [PDF]
- Nurse Scholars Book [PDF]
- Videos of the following presentations and sessions
- Pre-Summit Workshop #1 Taking it to the Next Level: Integrating QSEN (Quality and Safety Education for Nurses) and Magnet to Improve Health Outcomes
- Pre-Summit Workshop #2 An Update on the Affordable Care Act Sponsored by Florida Blue
- Fireside Chat: Shaping Florida's Aging Future Together
- Keynote Address: Health Care Reform and the Future of Nursing
Florida Blue Foundation is an Independent Licensee of the Blue Cross and Blue Shield Association.
FB FBF 024 NF 082015